The Great Kindness Week encourages students to think about their actions

Lucelis Martinez, Staff Writer

Vista Murrieta High School hosted The Great Kindness Challenge Week from January 22nd to January 26th. The Great Kindness Challenge week is also an anti-bullying effort. The week encourages students to stop and think about how their actions and words affect others. The week serves as a reminder that students at VMHS can choose to be kind and spread positivity to one another. This message was sent out regarding Kindness Week to VMHS students from Gregory Dowden, the ASB director.

The message says, “It is a nation-wide initiative presented by Kids for Peace, to promote kindness at our child care centers and schools from pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade. It is a positive and proactive anti-bullying initiative that educators can use to empower and encourage your students to create a culture of kindness.”

A lot of groups around campus worked together to spread positivity throughout campus, during Kindness Week. The main purpose of Kindness Week was to encourage students to think positive thoughts about others and themselves. In the same message that Dowden sent out were the names of all the groups who participated.

The message revealed, “Plus is planning to hang flyers with compliments around campus and have students take one and pass it on. Link Crew plans to decorate some of the chain ‘link’ fences with posters to welcome people to campus. ASB/Senate is setting up a Kind Tweets for Treats table. Renaissance is running a Bucket Filler activity for next week.” Bright colored posters decorated the hallways with messages intended to encourage students to enjoy their day/week and to think positive thoughts.

Kennedy Walker, member of Link Crew in VMHS, explained,“I think I probably made at least one person happy a day just doing stuff because I challenged myself to do something whether it was give a compliment or help pick up someone’s stuff just things here and there to spread kindness.”