Carson O’Coyne fears a life of mediocrity

Brea Pratt, Staff Writer

Not many people would ever expect to see defensive lineman Carson O’Coyne, dancing to 1960’s hit ‘Runaround Sue, but if someone were to look deep into his life they would see that and much more.

“My biggest challenge I’m facing is trying to become a better version of myself.  I know if I don’t continuously progress in every aspect of my life I will grow stagnant as a person.”

Because O’Coyne is an active part of the Vista community, he has become a well- known face on campus. He faces his fear of a “leading a life of mediocrity,” by living a life that is opposite of cookie cutter. Not only does he participate in participate in two sports on campus, but he somehow makes time to maintain a high GPA and to hang out with his “homeboys.”

“What inspires me… is that fact that I’m not perfect. Every mistake that I make drives me to become a better version of myself” O’Coyne stated.

“At Vista, I feel as if I‘m part of a big family. The more I involve myself on campus, be it in sports, clubs, or even dances the more at home I feel.”

Still O’Coyne is much more than just a scholar-athlete. He is a role model and loving brother to his three younger siblings, an advocate for the LGBT+ and women’s rights, and an active member in his community. He is also vice president of Clout Club, on campus with friend Elisha Guidry.

“Every sport I have ever trained for, “  O’Coyne said,” be it wrestling, football, or powerlifting, I feel gives the most benefit to one’s character. Athletics teach you to get back up after being knocked down, and stay persistent through adversity… these traits build are imperative in building a successful person.”