Seipp revamps BNN

Camila Castellanos, Staff Writer

Jason Seipp, a filmmaker and editor, is experiencing his first year at Vista Murrieta as the new tv/digital production teacher. He has been in the world of film and production since he was young.

“I started filming with a high 8mm camera when I was about seven or eight years old,” Seipp said. “And I just kind of fell in love with it.”

Seipp first fell into the world of film growing up in La Serrano, CA, where his parents were too cautious to let him wander the streets, so they gave him a camera to entertain him and his siblings. However, he believes he didn’t truly fall in love with film until he was around 11 years old – when the new Star Wars came out and he was inspired to make films of his own. Seipp later got involved with filming for his church in high school, and eventually became the go-to person for video related projects.

“It was kind of one of those things where it was on accidental hobby,” Seipp said. “I never purposely went after it, it just was what it was.”

Seipp later went on to attend Cal Baptist University to study graphic design and digital media. Upon graduating, he was offered a job that he was heavily relying on to start his life. When the job didn’t pull through, he was forced to work long hours in retail to make ends meet. One night in desperate times, his new wife found an opening for tv/digital production teacher at a school nearby, and Seipp quickly applied. Seipp has been teaching ever since, and will celebrate his 8th year of teaching this January.

“It was an accidental thing that I fell into,” Seipp says about his teaching career, “Doing something I was only doing as a hobby.”

When Seipp began teaching at Vista Murrieta, he immediately wanted to make changes. Upon watching BNN shows from previous years, he noticed that the scenery, the sitting, and the hosts were generic and replaceable. He wanted the show to incorporate personality, and most of all, he wanted to make people care. Now, BNN is no longer just the morning announcements; students know the hosts and have an opinion, which is accepted no matter if it is good or bad.

“It doesn’t matter what you do anyway,” Seipp said. “People are either gonna like it or people are gonna hate it, so might as well make it the way you wanna make it.”