UNICEF helps children and families in need

Maya Calderon, Staff Writer

Raising money for families and children in need, Vista Murrieta is doing its part by participating in this year’s Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF international fundraiser.

“[Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF] helps me grow as a person,” explained Brian Nguyen, the President of Interact Club. “I’m stepping out of my comfort zone and asking for donations since I know it’s for a good cause.”

Annually, Interact participates in Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF, averaging about $700.00 in donations per year. While carrying around small, orange boxes, the members of the club ask for donations throughout the entire month of October.  Any staff members or students may contribute to the fundraiser during the day to anyone with a box.  Moreover, Ms. Blaske, the advisor of Interact, began offering to take donations directly in her classroom (W116) this year, as well.  All of these steps to raise the money are executed by Interact members, and Nguyen described how they have become “a crucial part” of the club.  However, Interact is not the only club on campus that is participating in Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF.

“We are encouraging both clubs to reach the goal we established so we can represent VMHS as a school that is willing to help others,” said Key Club Secretary Cecilia Lor.

This is Key Club’s first year being involved in Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF, but they are prepared to work hard to raise money for the cause.  Their goal as an individual club is to raise $350.00 which is expected to make around $1,000.00 total raised by Vista Murrieta students this year.  In order to encourage people to donate and for members to participate, the club officers are stressing the importance of the project.

“We’re encouraging them by reminding them that the money raised will help kids in need,” Lor explained, “and give service to others outside and inside of our community, which we’ll give, thanks to their contributions.”

According to the boxes that members use to collect donations, just $1.00 can buy pencils for 30 students in a third-world countries or in an area that is struggling financially.  Additionally, $8.00 will provide a family with a kit for clean water.  Recent disasters from the hurricanes – like Irma and Jose – have inspired UNICEF to direct the funds toward providing emergency relief, rebuilding education, and handling nutrition.

Both Interact and Key Club are working towards a common goal to raise money for this cause.  Taking leadership, students have chosen to address these local and global issues; Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF is one way the Broncos do so.  They both hope to represent the school by making a difference, one student at a time.