Nikki Nelson plays a new role

Provided+by+Nikki+Nelson+and+photographer+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Nikki Nelson plays a new role

Provided by Nikki Nelson and photographer

Lucelis Martinez, Co-editor in chief

Nikki Nelson, ’19, has been a part of VMHS’ drama department for the past four years, but theatre has been a part of her life for even longer. Nelson is about to walk the halls of high school for the last time, and as a leader in the drama department as well as a stellar student overall, she has a lot to say about her time here.  

Nelson recalled, “I decided to join drama because I did theatre for most of my life, and I always love the people who are in theatre. They’re just such lovely people, and so I decided to join drama club and try out for the shows freshman year, and it was the best decision ever. Everyone is so kind and so welcoming, and I found a second home there.”

The camaraderie between groups here on VMHS is noticeable through the spirit of students and the teams who work together to create something.  

Nelson commented, “I feel like when you’re with a group that collectively loves one thing, like we all love to act and help put on a show, we’re able to work together and create a bond.”  

Nelson has participated in many productions, and she has a lot to say about the shows she has been a part of. A true artist knows their favorite masterpieces, so she also has favorite shows and memories to keep long after she leaves.  

Nelson recollected, “The most fun I ever had- my freshman year, I was a Munchkin and an Ozian girl. I got to walk on my knees, and I met my best friends in that show, and we’re still best friends, so I have a lot of memories just in that show. My second favorite show was Footloose because the dancing was so much fun, and we sold out that show. That’s something that I’ll never forget. It was a lot of work because we had a lot of technical elements. We had a platform and LED lights set up by Mr. Ruiz, so it was awesome seeing it all together.” 

The arts haven’t always gotten the most attention in schools, sometimes getting pushed to the side for other extracurriculars and sports, but the Drama department at VMHS stand by the arts which have taught them technical skills and helped them make friends. Nelson was able to branch out and socialize, making connections in the process.  

Nelson recalled, “Coming in freshman year, I didn’t know too many people because I came from a Temecula middle school, but meeting people who are so energetic and so out there made me not shy at all.  People are so welcoming, and you just want to talk to them. It rubs off on you in the program.” 

As the class of 2019 is about to dive into the adult world, Nelson has learned a lesson that adults teach all the time. This lesson is that change will happen, and although it can be scary, it can also yield positive results.  

“I got to be assistant director for The Crucible last year. It was completely out of my comfort zone because usually I’m onstage. Getting the opportunity to tell the people what to do who are onstage… was really cool, and I feel like I grew a lot as a leader and a person through that experience. I just have a new perspective on theatre,” Nelson described.  

As she steps out into the world, new experiences will be sure to cross her path.