Silvia’s creativity shines

Back to Article
Back to Article

Silvia’s creativity shines

Silvia is stood next to the Oscar statue at the benefit gala in Los Angeles.

Provided by Sofia Silvia and photographer

Amanda Beyer, Staff Writer

Sofia Silvia, ’19, has gone above and beyond in her writing with the reading of a scene that she created by live actors. 

It was such an honor to have my writing performed live by Kirby Howell Baptiste & Keiko Agena, and they truly brought my work to life. When you write something, you always wonder if the intention behind your words will come off the page, and I couldn’t believe how well the lines were delivered, and that people were genuinely laughing,” Silvia said. 

Silvia wrote a scene that featured an exchange between a pressing customer who requests a coconut cream pie and a baker whose prior trauma has left him unfavorably disposed to coconuts. The resulting comedy was read at the benefit gala hosted by a Los Angeles-based organization, of which Silvia is a part, that connects teenage girls with a variety of female writers. 

“Being that the organization has over a hundred girls within the program, it was very exciting to have my work to be selected as one out of the 17 pieces that would be read live that nightMedia attended, and a section of my scene was reported on the Instagram of Good Morning America. It was all so mind-blowing, said Silvia. 

Silvia has expanded her writing capabilities to the media arts through Bronco News Network, of which she is an active part and has served as the onscreen talent. 

“I’ve always loved video editing and video production, and I used to watch BNN and think it would be a really fun thing to be a part of. I’m so grateful that I was able to join the program this past year because it has been such an enjoyable experience,” explained Silvia. “I feel like I’ve been able to grow a lot as both an on-air talent and in working behind the scenes. It’s truly a 24/7 program as there is always an event or project that is being worked on, so being involved in BNN gives you a lot of experience working with cameras and gives you a real-life look at the ins and outs of video production.” 

Silvia was intrigued by hosting the announcements since freshmen year, but it was the other facets of the program- video production, editing, and sharing- that motivated her to join the program. Having enjoyed video editing during middle school, Silvia was interested in continuing this interest within her senior year. 

“I’ve learned so much about production and what it takes to create any sort of film, PSA, or live taping of an event. It’s allowed me to be a little more introspective and appreciate all the organizations we have on campus, learning through my film work, how much is being done for our school behind the scenes. I’ve met so many wonderful people through BNN and being in this community has inspired me to rekindle my passion for media arts,” Silvia said. 

With her various experiences in writing, Silvia plans for it to be a part of her future. In fact, she plans to continue creative writing and pursue it as a career in the future. 

“Following senior year, I am planning to major in English with a focus in creative writing. I guess I’m mostly excited to meet new people and see where my life takes me. On the contrary, I’m also fearful about the unknown and I’m nervous about not knowing where I’ll be,” Silvia said. 

In addition to her writing work, Silvia is the president of the Food Critic Club and an active Link Crew leader.