Salutatorian Asprec rises to the top and claims her spot at Berkley

Back to Article
Back to Article

Asprec has just received her C.L.A.S.S. award for becoming salutatorian.

BNN

BNN

BNN

Katherine Beyer, Staff Writer

Kyra Asprec, Vista Murrieta’s salutatorian for the class of 2019, has worked hard throughout her years as a Bronco to achieve academic success. Now, at the brink of her graduation, she has found herself at the top of her class. 

“I’m surprised. I wasn’t expecting to become salutatorian or anything. I was just taking these classes, and then everyone was like ‘Man, you’re gonna be val or sal,’ and I was like ‘I don’t know about that, but thank you for your vote of confidence,’” recalled Asprec. 

Throughout high school, Asprec has challenged herself by taking rigorous AP and Dual Enrollment courses. From these courses, she discovered that she enjoyed getting to know her teachers, more so than in regular classes.  She found that the most difficult class she took was AP Physics, which she described as “a whole new world.” Nevertheless, she was able to develop an understanding of the material by communicating with her teacher. Though Asprec was not at first actively seeking the position of salutatorian, through her efforts in all her classes she quickly rose to the top. 

“I just saw all the AP classes and Duals and thought, ‘Well, I think I should take these, ‘cause that would look good on my college app[lication], and then suddenly, I’m ranked… two or one,” said Asprec.  

To ensure she will perform well on the final exams for her classes, Asprec prepares study guides and does her homework after school, leaving her phone out of reach where it cannot distract her from the task at hand. She is a member of JROTC and has been involved in clubs devoted to service and academics, including National Honor Society (NHS), California Scholarship Federation (CSF), and Interact Club. With so many commitments, Asprec admitted that the greatest impediment she faced was time management. 

“When you have all of these AP and Dual classes, you’re trying to balance how you spend your time, whether it be studying or actually doing the homework. Sometimes, you just don’t do anything- which is bad,” she added. “Don’t do that. Don’t procrastinate.” 

In following this advice, Asprec relegated the time she spent on electronics to the weekends, saving weekdays to take on her school workload. Once that is complete, Asprec was able to enjoy her free time drawing, reading, and playing video games. Now, after an exigent but productive high school experience, Apsrec is ready to attend the University of California, Berkeley. She plans to study environmental science, but knows that her decision may change, as her participation in AP courses has introduced her to a variety of compelling subjects.  She offered final words of advice to underclassmen as she prepares for a bright future.  

“Stay involved in clubs. Make sure you have good club involvement, ‘cause that’s gonna get you out of the house and make sure you have fun and something to put on your college app. Even if you’re doing it for the app, it’s always fun just to go into a club and be involved, ‘cause you get to meet new people and have friends,” said Asprec.