The Vista View

• Apr 15, 1:30 pmASL Show May 2nd & 3rd!

• Apr 15, 1:28 pmEaster is April 21st!

• Apr 15, 1:25 pmSenior Checkout is May 31st!

• Apr 15, 1:24 pmProm is May 4th!

On “Becoming” Michelle Obama

provided+by+google+
Back to Article
Back to Article

On “Becoming” Michelle Obama

provided by google

provided by google

Getty Images

provided by google

Getty Images

Getty Images

provided by google

Lucelis Martinez, Co-editor in chief

The President of the United States is hardly a king. The US created the role of the President to fulfill the role of leader early into the birth of the nation. Still, people feel compelled to understand what their superiors do and what their lives are like. How the weather is “up there”. A giant presence in this country is the previous First Lady, also known (among other names) as Michelle Obama. In her autobiographical novel, Becoming she explores her life and shares what she finds with the rest of us.  

Becoming is divided into three title sections of her life. These are labeled, “Becoming Me, Becoming Us, Becoming More”. The woman we see on screen at presentations wasn’t dropped down from a factory. Her words and actions are a result of her experiences and they can teach us a lot about the groups she represents, as someone who group up on the South Side of Chicago.  She describes a life in which her main goal was to defeat the nagging voice in her head saying, “not enough, not enough”. First, she had to define what “enough” meant specifically for her and then she fought to achieve it.

Every day she took buses past the hustle and bustle of Chicago, past literal skyscrapers of possibility, past men and women in suits and dresses/ skirts, past briefcases and faces of distress pondering what the next battle would be at work. She went by those streets every day and then back to her home on Euclid Avenue after and worked for years until she merged her two worlds. Eventually finding herself at the top of those very buildings, she still came back to her childhood home in the evening. The same home that allowed for her first friends, for her learning the piano and a bunch of other occurrences that helped shape the person she became.  

She kept becoming more of herself until it was time to meet her husband.  

At the time she met her husband, Michelle Obama was working for a firm after spending years at Yale (following in the footsteps of her brother) and later Harvard. Having worked with different groups for years at her colleges and having met a diverse group of people, taught her the skills necessary to work at her firm. Her job was to help potential associates drop the “potential” from that label. One of these fated summer associates was none other than former President Barack Obama. The world might be used to seeing Michelle Obama next to her husband but, they both had their list of events.  

After unsuccessful blind dates she set up between him and her friends, she noticed that he wasn’t the average person. As she describes, he was always more interested in discussing the housing crisis than bowling or the latest game. Unless, if that game happened to be basketball. Then, it’d be a tossup as to which he’d prefer to talk about. As his political career took flight, they took flights to Hawaii to meet his family and they began to create a family of their own.

Him staying in Hawaii to take care of his daughter was now a problem for his career. The road to the presidency was at least three years deep and hundreds of years in the making. Whereas the political life made Barack feel free, it constricted his wife. They had to find the balance between family and work, even when work was thousands of miles away. Her journey along the way consisted of reluctance to get involved at first, then figuring out what kind of figure she wanted to be for the world and once those two items were resolved, it was taking off time for her too.

As Michelle Obama, her girls and her mom got whisked into the whirlwind of the White House, they earned a new wisdom. They have learned to take walks with the secret service tailing them and how to make smoothies with chefs. Still, they have had to make room for their president, first and foremost their dad, to sit and have regular dinner at 6pm. Order among organized chaos sometimes simply felt claustrophobic.

After all those stages, Michelle Obama sat down to write the last part of the book: “Becoming More, which, is still being written.