The Vista View

• Apr 15, 1:30 pmASL Show May 2nd & 3rd!

• Apr 15, 1:28 pmEaster is April 21st!

• Apr 15, 1:25 pmSenior Checkout is May 31st!

• Apr 15, 1:24 pmProm is May 4th!

“Captain Marvel” is out of this world

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Captain Marvel” is out of this world

Poster by Marvel Studios

Poster by Marvel Studios

Poster by Marvel Studios

Lucelis Martinez, Staff Writer

2018 was a dark year for Marvel fanatics all over the world. “Captain Marvel” is barely in its second weekend and its amassed $455 M worldwide already. In the first week! Box office results are proof enough that what’s coming for Marvel is the culmination of at least eleven years of hard work.  

“Captain Marvel” follows the origins of a character named Carol Danvers and her puzzling backstory. The movie is set in an ironic part of the MCU’s timeline as it shows the beginning of the Avengers, right after audiences collectively suffered watching “Infinity War.” “Captain Marvel” itself plays around with the idea of time, breaking up Danvers’ story into segments. As she figures out who she is, the audience does as well. Academy award winner, Brie Larson suits up to portray Carol Danver’s transition into Captain Marvel.  

She stands for all the strengths of Marvel. She’s brave, strong and, most important to a Marvel movie, has humor. Her story is also the bridge to End Game, which is set to break the hearts of every fan Marvel has won over the years. Those who choose to see it as another useless “feminist” movie probably haven’t realized that Captain Marvel’s name literally has Marvel in it. Without her story, End Game wouldn’t be half as well planned.  

As the woman blazes through all her doubters in the movie and comics, Brie Larson blazes through the haters trying to undermine the importance of movies with a woman as the lead. We could choose to dwell on her being a woman, or we could just admit that she’s – excuse the pun- out of this world. With the passing of comic book legend, Stan Lee, it is in the hands of his trusted fanatics to carry the torch of love his characters gave the world. His heroes saved people in real life because they gave them hope when the real world refused to. 

Close-ups of Danvers’ expressions tell us so much about what she’s thinking and feeling. Her signature blues and reds are magnified through CGI, and the power resulting from it is enough to give anyone the chills. What’s most impressive about her isn’t the power she holds, though, but rather her resilience to give up on the galaxy. Heroes often save the world, but how many can say they saved the galaxy? And of those who have saved the galaxy, how many are Avengers? 

Her battle against the Kree is nothing compared to the inward war she must fight within herself. She is a woman of the people. A woman of the aliens. A woman of the Kree. We are told she is all these things but the true purpose of her journey in this movie is to figure out what kind of woman she is to herself. If nothing else, comic book readers can finally stop holding their tongues about why the notorious Nick Fury has an eye patch in the first place. 

Rotten Tomatoes had to battle online trolls who wanted to spew some words of venom (not our Venom) on Brie Larson for comments she had made about sexism in the movie industry. Film critics give “Captain Marvel” a rating of around 81 %, while online reviewers give the movie a 30 to 40 %. The discrepancy is significant. Despite this, the movie continues to soar beyond old records. The movie gives us a flashback to the past showing us blockbuster and much like the scores broken on games sold in the store, “Captain Marvel” is still breaking high scores in the movie world. With fingers reaching to type words of hate, hands keep reaching to pull out bills in exchange for tickets.  

Although the movie was somewhat predictable and at times cheesy, the prep work was necessary, not only to understand the story of the intergalactic woman weapon but also so that “Endgame” would be much more impactful.  

There is only one thing I know for sure. Months from now, you will find me in a theatre, wearing all black in mourning with one article of red. Whatever happens, as Daredevil said, “A man without fear is a man without hope.”  

Or in this case, a woman.  

1 Comment

One Response to ““Captain Marvel” is out of this world”

1. VMHS Student on March 21st, 2019 8:39 pm

Small comment: I thought Cpt Marvel grew to be too pricy and didn’t pay out well; due to the lower popularity among fans.
    They put A LOT of money into this film.

Every one knows Iron Man, Cpt America, even the other Captain Marvel (male) and although the movie made a lot of revenue, it just wasn’t enough to reach all MCU fans because she as a character isn’t all that well known.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• “Captain Marvel” is out of this world

Weekend

On “Becoming” Michelle Obama

• Weekend

Bronco stars dance their way into the spotlight

• “Captain Marvel” is out of this world

Weekend

“How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World” is a stunning conclusion to the trilogy

• “Captain Marvel” is out of this world

Weekend

“The Lego Movie 2” builds a new story

• “Captain Marvel” is out of this world

Weekend

Old music remastered

• “Captain Marvel” is out of this world

Weekend

Bridge of Clay is constructed with strength, beauty, and heart

• “Captain Marvel” is out of this world

Weekend

“Bandersnatch” puts fate in the viewers’ hands

• “Captain Marvel” is out of this world

Weekend

Is “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” really about fashion?

• “Captain Marvel” is out of this world

Weekend

“Bohemian Rhapsody” speaks volumes to fans

• Viewpoint

Confessions of a Thriftaholic

The student news site of Vista Murrieta High School
“Captain Marvel” is out of this world