Perkins sends his luv through music

Back to Article
Back to Article

Perkins sends his luv through music

Provided by Andrew Perkins

Provided by Andrew Perkins

Provided by Andrew Perkins

Abbie Alipio, Staff Writer

Andrew Perkins, ‘19, took his passion for music to a whole new level, as he produces and serenades our community. Before becoming a music producer and aspiring artist, Perkins, also known as Drew Luv, worked alongside his father, who is known for being in the music industry himself. This experience allowed Perkins to follow his footsteps carefully and watch what he did to become successful.

“I think who inspired me would be DJ Mustard, producing wise,” says Perkins. “For my singing, I consider my music to be R&B, but for producing, it’s usually just trap and hip hop.”

Producing beats and music were his main priorities as a beginning artist. For having continued his work throughout his career, he became a platinum producer, which is his greatest accomplishment. Collaborating with artists such as Cardi B, L’Ma, DJ Mustard, Joe Moses, and many other amazing artists was just a little sneak peek into how music impacted his life as a high school student.

“When I make mistakes, I usually just cover them up really fast,” said Perkins, “I usually just fix them up really quick before anyone notices them.”

For him, making mistakes are just one of his many minor issues that can be fixed with the snap of a finger. Perkins makes this one of his many talents as a producer and as a singer, creating an example for himself and for others who are doing the same thing.

“Dealing with haters and people who don’t really like my music has benefited me in a way,” said Perkins. “Even though people hate on me, they still pay attention to what I’m doing.”

Perkins’ main purpose was to make music to inspire people. He wanted to make music for people to relate to. Heartbreak, being in relationships and having a massive crush on someone. People who have been where he has would understand where his mind goes when writing these lyrics.

“Just watch every move you make, make sure that every move is a good path for you,” said Perkins, as he advises those who are following his footsteps in the music industry.

Coming to where he is now, people shouldn’t be afraid to step out into the world to show them all they’ve got. That would be the moral of his advice. Being who he is, makes for a stronger character and sets an example for all the other aspiring artists on VMHS’ campus.