The Vista View

• Apr 15, 1:30 pmASL Show May 2nd & 3rd!

• Apr 15, 1:28 pmEaster is April 21st!

• Apr 15, 1:25 pmSenior Checkout is May 31st!

• Apr 15, 1:24 pmProm is May 4th!

“How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World” is a stunning conclusion to the trilogy

Back to Article
Back to Article

In the poster for "The Hidden World", Hiccup wields his fiery sword Inferno between Toothless and the Light Fury

Poster by Dreamworks

Poster by Dreamworks

Poster by Dreamworks

Katherine Beyer, Staff Writer

While the previous two installments of Dreamworks’ “How to Train Your Dragon” series have taken off well above your standard animated children’s movie fare, it nevertheless comes as something of a surprise that the third and final addition, “How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World” is still flying high. However, with breathtaking visuals, a dynamic and captivating soundtrack, and a heartwarming story to conclude the saga, this movie is a must-see for people of all ages. 

The tale picks up a year after the previous movie left off, with the Viking chief Hiccup (Jay Baruchel), his faithful Night Fury companion Toothless, and their comical but loyal friends rescuing dragons captured by dragon hunters. By mistake, they leave one behind- a white female Light Fury. An imposing new villain, Grimmel the Grisly (F. Murray Abraham) uses this to his advantage, releasing the wild and reclusive female to Berk, where an enchanted Toothless vies desperately to win her heart. Meanwhile, Hiccup struggles with the difficulties of managing the dragons and people of his homeland and simultaneously faces pressure to marry his longtime friend Astrid (America Ferrera). Spurred on by stories he recalls his father Stoick (Gerard Butler) telling him as a boy, he envisions a world in which humans and dragons can live together in peace, but vicious warlords, hunters, and drugged dragon bodyguards all stand in his way. 

As in the first two movies, this film invites you into its vast and beautiful world. The artists bring to life soft green grass, sparkling blue waters, and grains of sand so fine you feel as though you can reach out and touch them. The battle scenes are fiery and intense, while the more emotionally-charged moments are accentuated by warm sunset light. The soundtrack is bright and engaging, with music that is both familiar and fresh. Most of all, the dragons dominate each scene in which they are feature, with vibrant colors, shining eyes, and movements that bring to mind a plethora of real-world animals, from cats to dogs to ostriches, as they interact with each other and their world. 

The movie is not without its drawbacks. The story drags toward the middle half of the movie, and while the interspersed comic relief moments don’t detract from the story, often they don’t add very much, either. The villain begins to feel somewhat repetitive and the plot a bit plodding. It seemed for a while that the movie would not be able to hold up all the way through. However, by the time it ends you’ll wish it could have gone on longer. The finish was heartwarming and satisfying, but also remarkably poignant for a movie with a younger target audience. Overall, “How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World” is an enjoyable movie for anyone and a bittersweet conclusion to the action-packed trilogy.