Alec Testerman finds his passion in music

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alec Testerman, ‘19, creates music that he shares on Apple Music and SoundCloud

Photo provided by Alec Testerman

Photo provided by Alec Testerman

Photo provided by Alec Testerman

Amanda Beyer, Staff Writer

Door closed and locked, Alec Testerman is committed to stay until his work is done. But it is not the usual load of school papers this time- Testerman, ‘19, has found success in creating and sharing his own music. In it, he explores a variety of themes. 

“I make hip-hop, rap, and a little bit of R&B, singing,” said Testerman. “It’s just about having a good, fun life, but depending on my mood it can also be about heartbreak.” 

Testerman has been interested in music all his life and began sharing it on platforms like SoundCloud and Apple Music in the beginning of his sophomore year. He is inspired by such artists as Drake and Kendrick Lamar, whom he has always liked to listen to. Testerman’s friends participate in his music, as seen in the cover photos of some of his songs. 

“I do it mainly on the weekends, just because school is so busy right now. It’s more of a personal passion, but my friends like my music, so they make songs with me- it’s more fun to make music with my friends.” 

Making songs is enjoyable for Testerman, but it has the potential to grow to be something more as well, especially given how popular his music is growing. 

“I know a lot of people just from playing basketball, so it’s been spreading around the whole Inland Empire,” said Testerman. “I’ll keep making it for fun, but if it turns serious- I’ve been making little profits off of it- I might intend to major in something music-related.” 

Testerman is able to profit through the music-sharing apps  onto which he uploads his songs. As the artist, he receives minor payments off of it. Though small, they show the promise of Testerman’s music, and if this promise continues to be realized, Testerman plans to pursue an education that connects to his musical skill. 

“I’d probably do some kind of arts studies. I’m thinking about going to a school that’s good in arts- recording arts. I’d like to go farther than producing my own beats and learn about notes and rhythms.”