The Vista View

“Bohemian Rhapsody” speaks volumes to fans

Google

"Bohemian Rhapsody" poster

Savannah Pahl, Staff Writer

“Bohemian Rhapsody” is a musical extravaganza mixed with the life story of Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of the band Queen, played by Rami Malek. This movie is an adventure that fans of Queen, and those who have only heard the band’s music a few times, can both enjoy.

The movie starts off with Farrokh Bulsara (which was Freddie Mercury’s given name), as a socially awkward college student and baggage handler at Heathrow Airport. While at a nightclub, Farrokh watches the band Smile perform, afterward getting to meet the members Brian May, played by Gwilym Lee, and Roger Taylor, played by Ben Hardy. While talking to the band, Farrokh offers to replace their lead singer who had quit only minutes before, which the band accepts.

To start, the band played gigs throughout Britain, but that changed upon selling their van to produce their debut album, which resulted in signing a contract with EMI Records. After signing to EMI Records, Farrokh legally changes his name to Freddie Mercury, afterwards severing almost all ties to the life he had before. Queen remained with EMI Records until 1975, when they walked out after executive Ray Foster wouldn’t let the band release “Bohemian Rhapsody,” as the first single for the fourth album, A Night at the Opera.

Later in the film, viewers see a shift in Freddie; both in personality and sexuality. Freddie struggles to find himself, becoming lost within his fame, parties, and overwhelming loneliness. Eventually, Freddie finds himself again in order to perform in Bob Geldof’s benefit concert Live Aid at Wembley Stadium.

When the movie ends, the viewers are told more facts about Freddie Mercury, like the fact that, after his death in 1991 from AIDS, Jim Beach (the band’s manager) and the other members of Queen created the Mercury Phoenix Trust to combat the spread of AIDS worldwide.

Before watching the movie, I only knew Queen from songs like “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “Somebody to Love,” and “Killer Queen.” After watching the movie, I became curious about the authenticity of some of the details throughout the film, and almost everything about Freddie Mercury’s life was spot on. From his overbite, which many people encouraged him to get surgery to fix, to the bottomless mic he used at each concert, which came to be when the mic stand snapped during the middle of a concert; this film nailed it.

Whether you are curious about the members of the legendary band Queen, or just want to hear music that will leave you humming for hours, Bohemian Rhapsody is a must-see film.