The Vista View

New athletic director makes his dreams come true

"The student section literally made us fumble the ball and it broke one of our plays. Since that point I was always intrigued by Vista."

Back to Article
Back to Article

Studio 94

Studio 94

Studio 94

Kaitlyn Heard, Co-Editor in Chief

The new athletic director, Coach Carl Galloway, made his dreams come true when he took the job here at Vista.

From one school to another, Galloway noticed the difference in the spirit represented in the stands during a memorable football game leading him to admire the school from a distance.

“We get out on the field, and at one point in the third quarter, the student section all screamed at the same time, and our center thought it was a quarterback call on the play. He snapped the ball and we ended up fumbling it,” said Galloway. “The student section literally made us fumble the ball and it broke one of our plays. Since that point I was always intrigued by Vista.

Even though he loved Vista Murrieta from far away, Galloway also had a deep love for his own school Orange Lutheran High School.

“One of my favorite things was you see a kid whose dad left the family, his mom was working three jobs and he’d go to school. He does what he needs in the classroom and gets into a division one college. His family tree will be forever different because he devoted himself to being good at athletics, good in the classroom, and being a good person” Galloway continued, “When I see stuff like that happen for people, when they say, ‘I’m going to dive into something that can actually become catalyst to change lives,’ that’s the part to me that becomes exciting.”

At Galloway’s previous school Orange County, California he was the assistant athletic director and the director of sports performance. Being the athletic director here is not a new task, but compared Orange Lutheran, with their 1,350 students, Vista is a hustle.

“This school has almost as many athletes as we had total students there. It’s not necessarily difficult. Everyone here is really great to work with. I think things become difficult when you have hard people to be around and work with. It’s busier [here] because you can’t have that many people on campus and not have a lot of things going on,” said Galloway.

Because Galloway had connections with the last athletic director, Coach Coley Candaele, his chances of getting the job were increased. He has a few goals for this year to make it the best, but none that will change what was put in place by Candaele last year.

Galloway said, “One is I want to listen more than I speak for the first year to get an understanding of the place and the people. Two, I want to learn about the traditions and the history of the school. The third part is I’m going to be inflexible about creating an environment where kids are first. That’s the most important thing to me and I don’t think I have to make a change there because I think that is something that’s already happening here.”