The Vista View

Venom is a symbiote success

Google

Google

Mia Huggins, Staff Writer

The new movie “Venom,” based on the Marvel comic character of the same name, is an excellent anti-hero film, with hilarious yet interesting characters and a fast-paced story line. “Venom” has put itself on a pedestal of modern superhero acclaim, bringing in the beginnings of what could be an enjoyable series.

Our newest Marvel movie, not connected to the established universe, takes place in San Francisco, California. Our hero Eddie Brock, played by Tom Hardy, is an investigative journalist who is known for his brash approach to exposing subversive companies in search of the truth. Brock is assigned to an interview of an extremely successful and secretive research center, the Life Foundation. Naturally, Brock feels the need to expose the foundation on their immoral experiments and ethical decisions, despite the warnings from his boss, and uses his lawyer-fiancée’s laptop to dig up atrocities. After attempting to expose the CEO, discoverer of the “symbiote,” and antagonist, Carlton Drake (Riz Ahmed), Brock is promptly fired from his job for insubordination, breaks up with his fiancée, Anne (Michelle Williams), and leaves to investigate the true nature of the Life Foundation, leading him to the discovery of the symbiotes.

The movie is littered with one-liners and hilarious character interactions, keeping the audience at the edge of their seat waiting for the next joke to make us split our sides with laughter. Interactions between characters during dialogue almost always guarantees some type of comic relief. When Brock isn’t captivating the audiences with his comedic ability, he keeps us engaged in intense fight scenes, ordinarily ending in decapitation. The action is compelling and fast-paced, which is saying something for a person who prefers interesting dialogue over action. For once, a movie left me wishing for more combat, but that desire made the limited fight scenes more satisfying. The amazing special effects has the audience submerged in the action, as we saw the true hostility and extremes Venom was able to go to achieve his goals and indulge in his everlasting hunger.

“Venom” has its downsides, unfortunately. The entire relationship between Brock and his fiancée was very convoluted and shallow. There is little establishment to how Brock was “selfish,” presenting Anne as a self-centered dead weight. I never feel like rooting for the two, especially after Anne got herself a new boyfriend shortly after the break-up (another example of her selfishness). She appears often throughout the movie, but she acts like the stereotypical “empowered-woman” paper doll, with no real character. The antagonist is lacking depth as well. Drake’s plan is relatively sympathetic, but the movie seems to be too concerned about making him an evil nerd instead of a compelling villain. However, Eddie and Venom’s relationship makes up for this, manipulating the movie into a type of buddy-cop trope, Venom chiming in on Brock’s conversations and creating entertaining banter. At the end of the movie, it feels like they’ve always been together, setting up the stage for future adventures.

Venom has been met with an excessive amount of back-lash, despite the obvious audience appeal it has received. Amazing special effects pulls the viewer into the movie, and its jokes gives “Venom” easily received re-watchability. Walking into this movie exposes you to the beginnings of a promising new series, and it shouldn’t be allowed to fade into irrelevancy.