The Vista View

Club dedicated to fighting cancer has campus in the pink

Care packages gifted to survivors

Care packages gifted to survivors

Lucelis Martinez

Lucelis Martinez

Care packages gifted to survivors

Amanda Beyer, Staff Writer

The Pink Ribbon Club has been working to spread awareness and spirit throughout October in honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Throughout this time, events such as Think-Pink Thursdays and the Pink-Out football game have been observed by pink-clad students all over the school. The month is one of much activity for the club, who has been raising funds through sales of T-shirts and other articles that promote strength and awareness in the face of breast cancer.

In addition to Think-Pink Thursdays, in which students participated by coming to school in various pink attire, the football game, at which Vista triumphed over Great Oak, proved to be a success in the club’s eyes.

“It was amazing to see the school come together in extreme pink to emphasize breast cancer awareness. The Pink Ribbon Club hosted a bake sale, which included other merchandise, to raise money for Michelle’s Place. In addition to that, we also asked breast cancer survivors to come to the football game to highlight how inspiring and strong they truly are. Being a part of this event has left such positive outcomes and has left everyone in the club to feel accomplished and euphoric as we know that we’re making a difference,” said Sabrina Bajwa, Vice President of the Pink Ribbon Club.

Raising funds to donate to Michelle’s Place, an organization in Temecula dedicated to aiding breast cancer fighters, survivors, and families within the area, is one of the club’s main goals. The association acts as a resource center for those stricken with breast cancer and the people close to them by offering programs, seminars, wellness options, and more. Money raised by donors such as the Pink Ribbon Club is dedicated to funding services.

“They use it to help the community- those people that are suffering from breast cancer in the community, they turn around and use the money for those people, whether it’s their kids that need backpacks to start school, or if they need Thanksgiving dinners, or if they need free mammograms- it all goes back into the community,” said Renee Weber, guidance technician for records and Pink Ribbon Club Advisor.

Along with raising funds, organizations such as Michelle’s Place are committed to raising breast cancer awareness, and for a disease such as breast cancer, awareness is critical.

“There was a time when not that many people were going in and getting mammograms, or knew to get them. Also, young people- people didn’t think that young people got breast cancer, so they weren’t aware to check themselves, but now a lot of younger people are getting breast cancer in their twenties. In the early stage, it’s more curable- a higher cure rate,” explained Weber.

Indeed, the five-year survival rate- or the percentage of people who live at least five years following a diagnosis- is close to one hundred percent for women with stage zero or one breast cancer, but falls to seventy-two percent for women with stage three breast cancer, according to the American Cancer Society. Additionally, many facets of breast cancer are still unknown to many people- for example, the fact that the disease can afflict men as well as women. As such, the spread of breast cancer awareness is integral to the goal of the club.

For Weber especially, fighting breast cancer is a personal cause.

“I lost my younger sister to breast cancer, and at the time her daughter had just been in ninth grade- the first part of ninth grade- so then I knew that age group. So when the kids asked if I would be the advisor, I said yes,” Weber said.

Since then, the club has served as the voice of breast cancer awareness on campus, and honor National Breast Cancer Awareness Month at Vista and beyond. On Monday, for instance, the club has their Pink Pancake Breakfast, for which tickets may be purchased for five dollars. However, the club’s activities do not end with the conclusion of October.

“For the rest of this year, it does slow down a little bit after October, but what we do plan is a big field trip to Michelle’s Place where we donate a check. They moved this year, so it’ll be nice to see the new facility,” said Monica Tyler, guidance technician and one of the overseers of the Pink Ribbon Club.

This year marks the tenth of the club’s presence on campus.