Reece Lingat handles a busy senior year

Camila Castellanos, Staff Writer

Reece Lingat, VMHS senior, is enjoying her final year on campus playing in the most prestigious concert band and pursuing a career in graphic design, while also being a Varsity athlete on the women’s basketball team.

“Basketball has always been something that I can give my all to. It was a nice break from school work or music from band and drumline. Sports have always come pretty easily to me,” Lingat said.

Lingat is involved in many activities at Vista Murrieta including: four years of Band and Drumline and 2 years of JROTC, Interact club, and graphic design; however, her true passion is basketball. The sport was introduced to her around the first grade, she joined her middle school team in the sixth grade, and has played ever since. Scheduling conflicts were difficult with all she’s involved in, but her coaches and band directors always supported her and encouraged her to do both music and sports.

“My biggest inspirations are my teammates and coaches,” Lingat said. “They’ve been extremely supportive of me and understanding when I have scheduling conflicts with other programs here at school. It makes it easier for me to do my best everyday.”

Being Lingat’s last year on the Vista Basketball team, she believes she’s going to miss her teammates the most out of everything. The chemistry between the girls, both on and off the court, is something that can’t be replicated. Not only with her varsity team, but with the girl’s JV and frosh/soph team as well. She feels as if her biggest accomplishment in all her years has been being able to help the younger players who will eventually build the team once she and the other seniors have moved on.

“I may not be the best player on the team, but one of them [younger players] could be in the future,” Lingat said. “The more comfortable they are on the court now, the better they’ll be later, and the better the program will be later.”

Lingat feels confident about this season’s outcome and the team’s abilities. Their consecutive league championships definitely turn heads, but she believes their greatest qualities are their perseverance and their ability to consistently pull out wins and get the job done. Though college basketball is a dream of hers, it is not her main focus. After high school, Lingat plans on continuing to play basketball on her free time while attending an art school and pursuing her dream of being a Disney animator.

“Basketball has changed me with the discipline and the mentorship I’ve experienced through the program. I’ve learned to really value the small details in everything I’ve done,” Lingat said. “Basketball is a team sport, so when I can help someone else or I can get help from someone else, we all benefit. I think it’s a good way to live.”