The Drama department takes on Legally Blonde: The Musical

Camila Castellanos, Staff Writer

This year, the VMHS Drama department took on “Legally Blonde: The Musical” for their annual school musical open to all VMHS students. The show ran for six days, from February 14th to the 16th, and then the following week from February 22nd to the 24th.

The story is about Elle Woods, a determined young woman driven by love who overcame adversity to become a lawyer and graduate from Harvard Law. Woods was played by VMHS Senior and drama club president Cassidy Finch in the school production.

“Ever since I first saw ‘Legally Blonde’, I knew how much I loved the role of Elle. She is such a complex character, and she is so strong,” Finch said. “In a way, I looked up to the character when I saw the show; she was confident, talented, positive, and never gave up.” “Legally Blonde: The Musical” is the 13th play Finch has participated in throughout her four years at Vista Murrieta. Her favorite thing about performing in this show specifically was the high energy and positivity shown from her peers and herself in every rehearsal since they began working in October.

“The people in the show are fantastic, talented, and positive, which created an enjoyable and exciting environment,” said Finch.

This years musical, like plenty of shows the drama department has put on in the past, displayed some mature content, as it is a story starring a young woman in college. Finch addresses this by assuring the audience that the department spends a great deal of time having constructive conversation with the production team as well as with students and site administration. She believes that “Legally Blonde: The Musical” was a wonderful choice for the campus and community this year.

“It is my intention that we are very responsible with what choices we put on stage,” Finch said. “Sometimes the choice may push the envelope a bit, but I believe conversations are good and when it is about a positive message of empowerment, all parties involved will benefit.” “Legally Blonde: The Musical” was Finch’s final performance on the VMHS stage. If Finch could describe the musical in one word, it would be “iconic”.

“My last performance on the VMHS stage was bittersweet,” said Finch. “I love the friendships and family I’ve created in the program, and I’m so thankful for how much I’ve grown and all of the memories I’ve made along the way.”